Planning on Wearing Colored Contacts this Halloween? Check Out These Safety Tips!
Colored contacts are a great way to highlight the eyes year round, but costume or theatrical contacts are extremely popular during the Halloween season. There is a wide range of options when it comes to spooky contact lenses. Some cover a small part of the eye and others can cover the entire eye, providing an especially powerful optical effect. It is no secret that you can buy regular and colored contacts online, but in recent years a number of online providers offer colored contacts and theatrical lenses without a prescription. However, our eye doctor at Powers Eye Center recommends that you never use these providers for a number of reasons.
The Risks of Buying Contacts Online Without a Prescription
Contact lenses are medical devices that require a valid prescription to legally obtain them, even if they are not being used for any type of vision correction. That’s right—you need a prescription for non-prescription contacts! This is because contacts sit directly upon the eye and must be properly fitted for your specific eye shape. Improperly fitted contacts can lead to a number of problems including:
- Falling out of the eye
- Bacterial infections
- Scratching that leads to scarring or vision loss
- Corneal ulcers
- Allergic reactions
Furthermore, those online retailers offering colored contacts without a prescription are operating outside of the law. This means that if you order those lenses, you are likely to receive contacts that are not FDA approved. Often people receive lenses that are out of date, and they may not be properly sterilized. So, beyond a poorly fitting pair of contacts, you’re taking risks with your eye health by side-stepping the prescription process. The best way to avoid all of these issues is to come in and let our Colorado Springs eye doctor give you a comprehensive contact lens eye exam, so you can rock your colored contacts safely every day or just to celebrate Halloween.
Halloween Colored Contacts Safety Checklist
Once you have your prescription, follow these tips for a safe, spook-tacular lens experience.
- Obtain colored contacts from only licensed retailers that provide FDA approved lenses to ensure that you minimize any risks of infection and know that you’re getting quality products.
- Always follow the instructions for wear, care, and maintenance that come with your contacts. Failure to do so can lead to premature wear, vision problems, and infections.
- Never, ever share or swap your contact lenses with others, as this is a surefire way to have cross contamination issues that can lead to vision loss and bacterial infections.
- Do not sleep in your contact lenses, as most special effects lenses are not designed for overnight wear.
- If your costume requires makeup of false eyelashes, use only non-toxic products to prevent contaminating your lenses. False eyelashes can be particularly cumbersome with lenses, so think twice before wearing them simultaneously.
- If you experience any type of irritation with your lenses, remove them immediately and see an eye doctor in Colorado Springs right away. They can help determine the cause and rule out or confirm whether any type of infection is present.
With these quick and easy tips, you will surely have a fun and happy Halloween showing of your theatrical colored lenses.
Need an Eye Exam for Colored Contacts in Colorado Springs?
Play it safe this Halloween, and come and get your eyes examined for a legitimate prescription for colored contacts. Contact our Colorado Springs eye doctor at Powers Eye Center at 719-598-5068 today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Neil McAllister. With over 30 years of experience providing top quality eye care, you will be assured that your eyes will be cared for with the finest service.